Sunday, December 15, 2013

Trying to Photograph Snowflakes

Well I hope it's ok to share some of my photograph failures as well as successes, 'cause otherwise how are you going to learn?  I've tried a couple of times to photograph snowflakes, something I'd really like to learn.  I have a long way to go!  But I thought I'd share these attempts anyway.  If there's anyone out there with experience of what works best, hints are welcome!

This one was taken just on the surface of the snow.  I was surprised this flake actually showed up on the picture once I enlarged it.  Not much of a picture, but this got me started thinking I might actually be able to accomplish this.

These two are taken on the dark window of the car, where if I looked very carefully I could find individual snowflakes, tiny as they were.  The challenge is to get them in focus.  Try as hard as I did, these are marginal at best - but I think they're a good start.  The structure of the individual flakes is absolutely amazing!

 

I also tried a couple on the red part of the car, which turned out not too bad.  I think the one above was about the best I got, but it has me thinking I need to learn how to do this right!

Meanwhile, we have piles of snow.  It was really nice to have it 'warm-up' today to about -10 instead of -20!  That makes a very big difference to your comfort outside.  Walking the dog late today the snow was coming down so fast I could hardly see 50 yards; it was just a thick blanket of snowflakes filling the air.  I'll have to get the snowblower out yet again in the morning.

Linking to:
http://macromonday2.blogspot.ca/


13 comments:

  1. Shooting snowflakes is a great way to make snow more fun. Have you looked at reversing rings to get a whole lot closer cheaply ($12 at Amazon)? See http://digital-photography-school.com/reverse-mounting-your-prime-lenses-for-affordable-macro-photography for some details. I used to do some of it 40 years ago with a Pentax Spotmatic, but haven't tried it with my EOS 7D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice snowflake shots! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very impressed. I can't seem to make the macro work well on this camera (totally a bummer), but to get pics without any special equipment seems amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried to photograph snowflakes. You did a pretty good job of it! Snowflakes are so intricate when seen up close.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful shots of the snowflakes! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful. And each one of them is unique, since millions of years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful snowflakes, they show up better on black but look wonderful on the red background. I've crocheted snowflake ornaments that look a lot like the one on black.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so hard to do… You've done a fine job photographing these illusive beautifies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is hard but you did quite well. Amazingly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fun post. I did this a couple years ago with snowflakes that landed on my winter jacket. They are so beautifully and individually made - just like we are I guess.

    ReplyDelete