Friday, January 24, 2014

Northern Skies


I took a few quick pictures before I headed out skiing at Pen Lake on Tuesday.  I really liked the outline of of this tree against the deep blue sky.  The corner of the summer boat house shows up on the left, and straight ahead on the far shore is the popular resort Hidden Valley.

The sun was already started down toward the horizon as I set out, giving a golden glow to these trees on the edge of the meadow.

And once I got out onto the lake the sun was close to setting.  There are ski, snowshoe and snowmobile tracks back and forth across the lake; the ice is probably 18" thick, plenty thick enough to hold vehicles.

The setting sun was shining on these birch along the shore giving them an even brighter golden glow.

 With no clouds the sun set quickly, leaving behind an orange glow all over the western sky.

And I was left skiing in the blue light of early dusk, with the pink afterglow lighting the horizon to the south.

But we finished the day in vigourous debate in front of the fire in the cabin.  A memorable day of cross-country skiing under northern skies, at about -24°C, but with little wind chill.

http://skyley.blogspot.ca/
and
http://mylittlehomeandgarden.blogspot.ca/

16 comments:

  1. Your skies are really awesome. I know that fireplace was quite a welcome sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You skied accompanied by fabulous skies. Glad you could find some toasty warmth afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful pictures - and just a bit different to my current landscapes!

    With weather like that, the open fire must be a real joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lovely day! I love the late sun on the birches. All beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great photos, the colors and lighting are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such lovely photos! I love the golden sunlight late in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous winter shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah the beauty of winter and a warm fire.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous shots! It's been much too long since I've been up that way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, FG, it looks like you had a glorious day for skiing. The snow is looking almost pink in the photo of the birches; it's wonderful to see shots from different times during the day. The fire must have felt welcoming after your outing.

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first looks mighty cozy after all that snow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful series of photos! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for taking us along on your venture across the lake. I use to take the kids out and we would identify tracks of all kinds in the snow, those days are long past. Fantastic photos and amazing sunset

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful golden light on the trees. Cross country skiing is something I haven't done for many years - no snow in this part of Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have only walked on a frozen lake once. It was fun, but I was a little apprehensive because I wasn't sure how thick the ice was. It sounds like you had a fabulous day. Great pictures. Thank you for sharing your day.

    ReplyDelete