Thursday, January 23, 2014

Peninsula Lake Skiing

I've just returned from a cross-country ski expedition with friends to Peninsula Lake, near Algonquin Park a little further north in Ontario, for 3 days.  Although it was a tad chilly (!!) we had three beautiful sunny winter days, so I got lots of pictures.
We didn't get there til late on Tuesday, and there was a bit of a wind chill, so we waited til late afternoon to head out.  This is the great track-set trail on the lake, as the sun is setting.

I actually headed out back across the meadow first, to avoid the wind chill, and got some interesting pictures.  This one is just to prove I was actually there!

I came across this intriguing set of tracks, looking a little like a spaceship had landed in the snow, except for the one set of tracks leading in and out of the circle - reminded me of a tiny crop circle!

My only guess is that a squirrel left these tracks, perhaps hunting for some nuts it had buried in the fall, but now facing 18" of snow to dig through.

The sun was setting though, so I turned around and headed for the lake.  It helped that the wind died down.  I got this picture straight into the sun by hiding the sun behind the little trail maker sign.

I headed out on the lake on the beautiful trails, just track-set in fresh snow that morning and skiid a loop around the north bay of the lake.  Peninsula ('Pen') Lake is a popular cottaging lake in the summer, but at this time of year only a few diehard skiers and snowmobilers are around.

This is Cedargrove Lodge from the middle of the lake; our cabin is the 3rd roof from the left.  I actually holidayed on Pen Lake as a young child, but I'm not telling you how many decades ago that was!


This was the cabin I stayed in with my skiing buddies,   You can see the clear skies we had, so I have lots of pictures to share over the next few days.


12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous....it looks invigorating!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True winter images. Look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got some great late afternoon colors of the snow. Looks like you had fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah---I've never skied ---but I'd love to snow-shoe and cross country ski --if I were younger!! Never have lived anywhere with much snow to do those things!!!!

    Love the sun's colors on the snow in your photos... That cabin looks AWESOME... Bet you had a wonderful time with your buddies.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so beautiful! Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nifty pictures! Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just beautiful snowy pictures and against the blue sky is just breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An interesting post with some nice pictures! Hasn't snowed yet here in England, it's been cold enough though!

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beartiful pictures as usual. It sounds like you had very good weather for this excursion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks beautiful there. And cold.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know Peninsula Lake very well indeed. My parents lived up in that area for several years.

    Amazing shots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is an interesting pattern.

    ReplyDelete