Sunday, January 26, 2014

Skating in the Trees!

Not only does Arrowhead Provincial Park have great ski trails; it has a skating trail!  They flood a campground road to create an outdoor rink 12 feet wide and 1.3 km. (almost a mile) long!  You can skate the loop through the trees! 

I had seen this last year when skiing here, and I've been waiting a whole year to try it.  This time I was prepared, brought my skates, put them on at the benches provided, and while my buddies sat in the warm car and watched, I disappeared around the bend.  I've never seen anything else like this in my life except the frozen Rideau Canal in Ottawa which I skated many years ago.

There was only one person there skating with me, and she quickly disappeared in the distance. You did have to be a little careful; this was not as smooth as ice inside an arena.  But they do have a zamboni to help flood it, and it was remarkably smooth going.

When I taught at the University of Guelph I had a double arena 200 yards from my office, and skating became my favourite fitness routine.  I actually went back and took skating lessons in my 40's, so I could keep up to the students playing hockey.  You can imagine how I enjoyed skating on a trail sailing through the trees!

Down the long straight stretch into the setting sun and home.  Next year I'll plan my timing better and spend an hour doing loops here.  Something special to look forward to, and something that the very cold temperatures we've been getting is good for.

11 comments:

  1. That is to totally awesome! Wow, if I could still skate I would love that. Growing up there was an outdoor skating/hockey rink right behind our house for years. We skated all winter long almost every day no matter how cold it was. I sure do miss skating. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard about the skating trail at Arrowhead. I don't skate, but I imagine just like the Rideau Canal here, the ice would be walkable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's marvelous! I never could ice skate though… I was a good roller skater in my youth , but my ankles weren't strong enough for ice skating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, the skating trail is cool. Hubby and I would love to try that. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is supposed to be one here in Muskegon (about 60 miles away), but I haven't heard much about it for a while, and I'm not a good skater- can manage, but it's not pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great idea and so much better then going round in circles. and better scenery too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a great idea. I'd love to do that. When I was a kid we lived by a lake and I used to ice skate all the time. How neat to have a trail to skate along. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great recreational opportunity! Enjoy, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never heard of a skating trail. What a neat idea1

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never ice skated before, but this looks like a fun course to skate on. Very unique.

    ReplyDelete