Saturday, January 25, 2014

Skiing - on a -37°C Day!

Well, I have to admit that we didn't ski at -37°, though that was the reading when we headed over for breakfast in the main lodge.  Luckily the sun was out, and there was no wind chill, so the temperature rose steadily.  It was about -24°C (-11°F) when we finally headed out to ski in mid-afternoon - almost warm in comparison!

We drove to Arrowhead Provincial Park, about 20 minutes away, to take advantage of their fabulous groomed trails.  Arrowhead has seven different cross-country trails, in both classic and skate formats, at three different difficulty levels - a lot of kilometres of skiing to choose from.

Two of us took the easy trail, a flat double track trail along the bank of the Big East River on one side and the Little East River on the other.  Most of this trail follows roads through the campgrounds.
 
It's a northern pine/spruce/birch forest, with lots of snow-covered evergreens to give shelter, and the white trunks of the birch trees.  The green and white of the northern winter forest always appeals to me.  Even though the sun was shining, by later afternoon, the trails were mostly in shade.

The  Big East River flows through deep glacial sand deposits in this area, cutting wide meandering oxbows.  We're standing at the top of the slope on a lookout platform that will undoubtedly have to be moved back a few feet very soon!

This very steep slope is far too steep to climb up or down, but it provides for some nice views over the valley.

  
This is another viewpoint over the valley from the ski trail, the clinging leaves of a couple of beech saplings looking like it is still fall.  They often hang on all winter until the buds burst out in the spring.  The Big East River is right in front of us at the bottom of the slope.

The trails themselves were excellent, with deep snow and a track-set double track so we could ski side-by-side (except I was always stopping for pictures and falling behind).  They had obviously been preparing these trails for the Muskoka Loppet, the big race of the season, being held there today.  In spite of starting our day at -37°C (that's -35°F), we had a great day of skiing.  And there's still more to come...



16 comments:

  1. Very Nice! The photos are really pretty, and I especially like the second to last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I envy you your snow -- we only have about 2" on the ground, even though it's been quite cool (-5 to 10 degrees each morning).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are brave to be skiing in those temperatures! The surroundings are beautiful though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly are a hardy soul! I remember once trying to go for a walk at 35 below (F), and my glasses froze to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never actually experienced temperatures that low - the scenery is lovely though and you captured it wonderfully. How do you keep the camera from freezing though (or battery draining !) Even tucked into an inside pocket -- that pretty darn cold weather !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far no problems with the camera. I carry it in a nifty one strap pack I can swing around in front and remove the camera without removing the knapsack. Then back in it goes. I do keep the spare battery in an inside pocket.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos as usual. After reading your blog, I can't say that we are eager to fly back to Ontario in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you must be coming back soon. And yes, there's a lot of snow in KW too.

      Delete
  7. Good for you for getting out! I'd stay by the fireplace in your previous post. However you images were worth braving the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The photos are lovely. I braved the cold too and headed out with my snowshoeing group. Once you get out and moving, it is really fun. I've found it easier to embrace winter than fight it. It's inevitable. Winter follows fall. But then spring will soon be here and I can see you hiking those same trails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. If you're going to live here (or Ottawa), you might as well embrace winter!

      Delete
  9. That is still cold. Thanks for putting the F temp there too.
    What beautiful pictures. I think I'd brave the cold too to be out there. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've spent a lot of time in Algonquin, but very little in Arrowhead. Beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful country! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd probably be more likely to try skiing if it wasn't for the cold and snow. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm getting ansty to be able to get out and do something fun. Still too much wind here.

    ReplyDelete