Monday, January 27, 2014

Weeds in the Snow

On Tuesday, skiing through the meadow beside Pen Lake, I found a few hardy weeds that have withstood the onslaught of snow and are still standing upright.  They looked quite attractive all by themselves above the snow, casting shadows in the late afternoon sun.  Somehow my camera co-operated and I got these in focus.

 

 
 
The first three of these are goldenrods I think, though I didn't stop in the -24°C temperature (-11°F) to check these out carefully!

 

 
I'm not sure of the first of the last three, but I did like the milkweeds, especially the last group, all with their shadows reaching out to the side.

Just to give you the context, this is the meadow i was skiing through when I got the pictures.

Linking to:
http://macromonday2.blogspot.ca/









8 comments:

  1. These are just beautiful! I have such a hard time focusing my photos when there's snow involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. Some plant life always amazes me with how it survives how it does, especially the parsley last winter under the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter has a beauty all it's own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice shots and I even saw some snow sparkles:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos! The weeds are very pretty and I love the long shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like weed stalks in the winter. Yup, goldenrod, I think a fleabane, and then milkweed.

    ReplyDelete