Saturday, January 11, 2014

Winter Shadows

Two days ago, on my cross-country ski under brilliant blue sunny skies (see Thursday's post), I got a few shots of shadows.  Having just discovered 'A Personal Photo Challenge', hosted by Donna, where the challenge this month is shadows, I'll share these today.  I'll be posting more photos from that ski outing - from the trail 'down in the swamp'.

The trails at Glenelg are really varied, and very scenic.  This photo is from one of the hardwood bush sections of the trail (uphill as I recall).

And this part is near the end where I was on a nice downhill run getting back to the car after nearly 3 hours, pleasantly tired from the exercise on a beautiful day.  Few sports like cross-country skiing for good exercise!

I wondered about avoiding my shadow in this picture, but in the end I decided it added to it, and only wish I had taken one aimed lower to get the full shadow.  I think I was first down these freshly track-set trails, in perfect snow conditions.

Today is a different story, with one of those warm air masses from the American south tresspassing north and bringing our annual January thaw.  Raining hard and melting fast - unfortunately.

Linking to Donna's:
http://apersonalphotochallenge.blogspot.ca/
Check it out for more shadow pictures!

13 comments:

  1. I'm glad you joined the challenge with your beautiful photos! I love the last one. Pouring rain and mild here tonight after freezing rain most of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for joining the photo challenge! Welcome, and I hope you enjoy visiting everyone and getting inspired by the wonderful creativity of the participants.

    These are beautiful snow photos, and the low-horizon sunshine allows the shadows to give texture to the scenes. I can almost see the ghost of my cold breath! I especially love how you included your shadow in the last image because it puts you there, right into the scene, and sharing your experience first hand. The golden light is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those tall skinny trees and the shadows they make! And the snow sure looks heavy on the evergreens. Great photos for the challenge! I love the bright sunshine on the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a nice place of sun and shadows to hike or ski.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shots! We are in Galveston, Texas at present and it is warm and the day was sunny. Nothing like that. I guess the warm up has come to the North though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the snowy shadows and hopefully the melt won't last long! I just joined in the photo challenge and I am checking out everyone's links. Beautifully done! Looking forward to more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One great thing about snow is shadows are so great cast on them. I agree that it's a shame the snow is melting. The world looks so pristine covered in fresh snow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really like your "Shadow Play" photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had a warm front come in yesterday, along with rain so most of the snow is gone and the ground is pretty saturated. Surprisingly no flood watches/warning as of yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup, we are now doing ice and slush. It's a bummer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I've never skied nor do I wish to...Lololol....BUT! I admire those that Do! These shots are Beautiful!! The snow looks like baby powder...
    Thanks for joining us!!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. The shadow adds a touch of interest. It also testifies to the fact that this time of year the sun is low. Nice shot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tree shadows on snow are so beautiful. You've done a great job with these. I think that your own shadow in the last photo summarizes the activity of the day.

    ReplyDelete