Monday, February 24, 2014

Visiting the Horses

I went for another interesting snowshoe last week with a friend who lives northwest of here, in the next valley over, the valley of the Bighead River.  He took me across the river and over the fields to visit 3 horses who spend the winter on the pasture.

I've always been interested in horses, but it's always been at arm's length so to speak.  My father spoke enthusiastically about his job harnessing the horses as a youth; I think it was his favourite memory.  But I've just never had the chance to be around them much, so I really enjoyed this.

We snowshoed across the solidly frozen river, through a bit of woods, and up this hill.  I still couldn't see the horses, so I didn't realize where I was being led, nor what we would see; I was just going on a mystery walk in a new area.

Turning around we had a great view quite a distance to the west, over the Bighead Valley.  That's my friends house just showing as a bit of white in the woods near the centre of the picture.  He remembered the days when these fields were in a grain crop many years ago, but they've been just pasture for decades now.

Then we crested the hill, and there were the horses, pretty unexpected to see when you're out snowshoeing!  I think the wind blowing up this hill keeps the snow cover shallow, allowing them to paw down to the grass.  And they have shelter down among the cedars by the river when it's colder or windy.

Soon, with a little patience and quiet voices, they came to visit.  They knew my friend, but otherwise I don't think they've had human visitors close by for many weeks.  I don't know a thing about horses, but they did look healthy to me.  Tomorrow a few more pictures of the horses and the rest of our hike.

 Linking to:
http://ourworldtuesdaymeme.blogspot.ca/

15 comments:

  1. Lovely walk, and what a great view from the top, those horses look very tame to me, guess they too like some human contact and voices every now and again. Cheers, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing views!

    Yes, the horses do look like they're in fine shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you to get out in deep snow and snow shoe. It's great exercise. You got over the hill for some good horse photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful view as you looked back the way you came. A long hike too. The horses are beautiful and really stand out against the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always admired horses, but from afar. We owned a beauty for our daughter to ride many years ago, but I never got close to it. Looks like a great place to hike!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you take carrots or apples!! Next time take a few along. Great photos they have their warm winter coats:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great outing. I would have loved to see the horses. They seem calm..Great set!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great trek! The horses look happy, and curious as any tame ones will be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A nice trek for you - the horses sure look pretty in the sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gotta love horses!! And your snowy photos, tho cold I'm sure, are so beautiful, quiet and peaceful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have loved to be in the field with the horses. They look beautiful. I've not been around horses much either and I find it a treat when the ones around here come down to the fence to see me.
    I guess they are used to the cold!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read they have to problems with cold, they just need feed and water.

      Delete
  12. That would be fun to do. They are beautiful horses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous horses! I feel a lot like that about horses. I've rode a little but not enough to be really comfortable. Still, they are beautiful beings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I probably would have grown up with horses, if my Dad wasn't allergic. My Mom grew up with them, and had a horse up until she met my Dad. I've always enjoyed seeing them in my travels.

    ReplyDelete