Sunday, October 12, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!

It's our Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, so Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  And we had just about a perfect Thanksgiving Sunday, sunny blue skies, remarkably warm, and a great day to be outside.  We had a wonderful visit to the apple orchard with our grandson and his parents (and several hundred other people) - and later a wonderful turkey dinner!

Let me celebrate by sharing some pictures of leaves, my favourite thing about fall - all taken in our yard yesterday.

Sugar Maple

 Basswood

 White Ash

Tulip

Red Oak

Red Maple

And yes, we do have a Tulip tree here, which I planted several years ago - 2 in fact.  Among the half dozen more 'southern' trees I planted, this species is doing the best.  The others (Redbuds, Kentucky Coffee trees, Blue Ash, White Oak, Hop tree) are staying alive, but not growing much!

Linking to:



16 comments:

  1. Beautiful colours! Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite fall colors are the oak and maple leaf reds. Looks like your leaves are quite tasty too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely fall leaves! Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving. : )
    Beautiful fall leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving! :) I am impressed that you have a Tulip tree! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have recently bought a small maple, with very fine leaves, lime green right now. Hope it will turn those glorious red shades next autumn, like your leaves. Cheers,Jean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful colours and photographs. We had a lovely maple which, sadly, died - we don't know why. We're having to make do with a couple of the Japanese variety - somewhat smaller! Thank you so much for your recent comments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's amazing that you can grow tulip trees that far north.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Thanksgiving, and thank you for sharing your pictures of fall. We don't see that much brilliance in the Texas Hill Country. We are very green at the moment with lots of rain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! I can't get the wild redbuds to grow here. Maybe you are just enough milder? They do grow in southern Michigan. I am surprised a tulip tree will grow for you. But, obviously, I don't have a good handle on your climate, because I thought you were north from me by a couple of weeks different in the seasons. We haven't hit peak color here, not even an hour north, as Ester and I discovered yesterday. We were quite surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great collection of the leaves in your yard! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Sugar Maple shot is a real stunner, I love the shapes made by the overlapping, backlit leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these leaves against the blue sky. We had a beautiful weekend here as well and a wonderful dinner today. I ate too much as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! Autumn colours are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful fall leaves! My favourite time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bet those 'southern' trees don't care for your frigid winters.... Glad the Tulip Trees are doing well. I wouldn't have thought they would... Congrats.

    Happy Thanksgiving (belated)... Sounds like you had a perfect day --topped off with turkey and the trimmings.....

    Love your Fall colors...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete