Friday, July 17, 2015

William


High Flight
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .
Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

                                  John Gillespie Magee, Jr., 1941



Our first Celebration of Life for William
is tomorrow in Markdale, Ontario at 2 p.m.

If you didn't read his story when I posted it, 

16 comments:

  1. I've read the poem at some point... fitting for a pilot. You'll be in the thoughts of many tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be thinking of you and your family tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tribute; a perfect poem for your son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely tribute...hope all goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will be in my thoughts tomorrow. You have honored your son well. He honored you well by his life. Blessings on you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will be with you in my heart and thoughts tomorrow, Honoured by you, shared by us, and such fitting words for a tribute and a farewell for William.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thoughts will be with you as you remember William. You've found a very suitable poem for William.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read that poem when I had to give a bit about a skydiving friend who died. It's such a perfect poem for those who loved the sky. And I am thinking about you and sending you some virtual hugs, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love the poem. A wonderful tribute to your son.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My heart goes out to you and your family. I am a mother and I can hardly stand to think of the pain of your loss, but I also surely understand the enormous love and pride you feel for such an amazing young man. May you find comfort in your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I'm thinking of you and your family today as you say good-bye again. I remember learning that poem in school and it's very fitting for your son's life. God bless you and yours with peace and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect poem for your son the pilot. Today I am think of you and all who are missing William.

    ReplyDelete
  13. William's crash is mentioned in an article in the Ottawa Citizen today. Ahhhhh, that poem. How appropriate. Blessings on your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, we had a Mullein in our garden last year. We did research on the plant and found it is an invasive species. This year there have been at least 50 coming up all over the yard and we've had to pull them up by the roots to stem the invasion. Invasion is a funny word to use because until we learned they were called Mullein we called them Alien Plants. Your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Stew, I am so far behind in my blog reading. So I missed being able to think of you and your family on the day of this service. I trust the tribute went well. They are so hard, yet they do bring some comfort. Or at least they did for me. I think of you every day and so appreciate your support for me.

    ReplyDelete