Friday, April 8, 2016

A Walk in the Woods

Feeling some serious cabin fever, I headed out for a walk in the woods on Wed., in spite of the snow and wet.  It turned out to be a very enjoyable bit of exercise at least.

One of the two gateway Sugar Maples that mark the entrance to the woods has lost a huge branch.\

I find myself feeling that the trail entrance is a little less dignified than before.

After walking here dozens of times over five years, \I finally noticed a Butternut tree, and it was right beside the path!

The top of the tree looked still alive, but not very healthy.  Now that I've noticed it (finally), I'll be watching to see if it has the Butternut Canker.

And this is my favourite old fallen log.  Right in the centre of that picture beside the old log, a nice patch of Trillium will be blooming in mid-May.

But what I really noticed were all the wet patches.  Now partially frozen patches of slush, there were numerous puddles like this in locations where I'd never seen them before.

Even out in the field, where I loop past to rejoin the woods trail.  Normally I can walk right around the edge of the forest here.

There is always a forested pond in the woods, in the far distance here, but at the moment there are a whole series of slushy ponds leading through the low area toward it.

And of course there were still some young Beech saplings holding on to their leaves, a favourite feature of the winter woods.

Did you notice that these are all black and white?  After taking them in colour, I realized that there was virtually no colour to be seen; it was all shades of white to gray, so I took out what little colour there was (like these Beech leaves), to see what it would look like.  I've never done that before!


11 comments:

  1. Wonderful pics in Black and white, shows the true colours of this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very effective done this way. It highlights the effect of the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos love the B&W affect . Sometimes the walks you least expect to be nice end up being the best in the some what yukky blah weather . Thanks for sharing , have a good weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the black and white forest photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did notice the black and white. When I had my old 35mm camera I used to enjoy developing my own black and white prints. I went to an adult education class at the high school and got to use all of the equipment for a very small registration fee. I felt like it was painting with a photograph. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did notice they were all black and white, which for you I thought was unusual ... but it works well!

    Hope you have a good weekend, whatever the weather may be.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look just perfect in B&W. And all those slushy ponds are curious. Glad you're getting exercise again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, the photos do look good in B&W! It seems perfect for the forest and snow. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Winter days, particularly with gray skies, can have that black and white effect where all colour is just drained away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I did notice and how very nice they are!! Great that you got out there to walk. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just assuming there was no color...I have some shots that every time I show any of them, people think they are in B&W but they aren't.

    I always liked getting out for a walk in the snow when I was young. Not that I don't now, just no place to walk.

    ReplyDelete