Thursday, November 2, 2017

Good-bye to the Hostas

I spent most of today at the old house, tidying the last small corners of the garage, taking the last load to the local charity shop, and bringing the last few things home.  The deals have closed; we are done in!  Thank goodness there's no deadline for the unpacking stage!

Took time to say good-bye to the garden we've created, feeling both that we created something beautiful, and relieved that we won't have to care for it anymore!  Until a few days ago, this was my favourite spot to sit, under the long curving branch of the apple tree.

The Hostas all turn yellow at this time of year, and disappear until their spikes appear next May or June and unfold into leaves.  One of the nicest plants in the garden because their leaves shade the ground beneath them, and you get no weeds.

This bright blue (and poisonous) Monkshood was still in bloom.

Eighteen years ago when we first bought the property, we planted about 20 Sugar Maple seedlings, just little sticks about a foot high.  These are a couple of them today.

Along with a few mature Sugar Maples in the fencerow.

 This is that Large-leafed Magnolia I wrote about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

 And this is our little, slow-growing Gingko tree.  We both think it's the trees we'll miss the most, but we're looking forward to new adventures.


22 comments:

  1. Something you can take pride in. Beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sweet day with lots of memories for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's sad to say goodbye to a place into which you put so much effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard to say a final good-bye to a place you've loved. Just don't go back, for it won't be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You left a place of beauty for future generations to enjoy, FG.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gratifying to see all those tiny trees grow into large ones! Probably hard to leave such a wonderful garden too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous. And we will be watching for the beauty of your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lets hope the plot is well cared for in the future; the new owners have a good start. Now, back to those boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have left a lovely place for the new owners. And I know you will make a wonderful garden in your new home. Congratulations on everything going as planned! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hostas are easy transplants though with little care needed. I hate seeing them yellow though so a good time to leave! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure the new people will enjoy the beautiful place you have created,
    and you will be enjoying your new garden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have a large garden here, on three acres, or just over 12,000 metres squared. Lots of lovely shrubs, plants and a special tree. But I remind myself that even when we own a property, we are the caretakers of the land, and leave it for another family to love and care for. You have left a legacy that the new owners will so enjoy, reaping the benefits of all those plantings that have grown over the years. Hostas, I planted or uplifted and replanted some of my favourites into large pots, it seems to deter the slugs from eating the leaves. Less land, less garden, more time for all those other interests, and travel, well done to be finished and finally relax, taking time to do all that unpacking. Good timing to be in before winter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. it's so pretty, i'll bet it was hard to say good-bye!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like you I too have a habit of saying good-bye to things if I know I'll likely not see them again. Trees, plants, memorable stones, posts, an old chair, a favorite spot, and on and on it goes. You have done a marvelous job there with the landscaping and I know you have a nice feeling inside knowing you have done it all and your hard efforts will live on and grow with the new owners. You have left a place looking better than when you found it and that alone is a pretty darn nice feeling inside.....................

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love hostas... but so do the deer. That sure is a beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a beautiful home you created. I can imagine it being sad to leave.
    I hope you love your new home too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think leaving what you have worked and created would be one of the hardest parts of moving.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never had property large enough to develop a garden. I can't imagine how much time it would take to keep it in good shape. My little float garden and pots on the deck are almost a full time job, at least spring to fall. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  19. when I get around to buying a new place,I dearly want it to come with a well loved garden

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope the new owners will love the place as well as you do

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know you will miss the photo ops that your garden provided, but perhaps you will find other garden that others tend! :)

    ReplyDelete